DOC EDGE ANNOUNCE THEIR 2020 AWARD WINNERS
The Oscar-qualifying 15th annual Doc Edge International Documentary Film Festival (Doc Edge) is thrilled to announce the winners of the 2020 Doc Edge Awards held online on 19 June. The Festival and all its associated events run online this year across the country until 5 July. These awards are a celebration of the vital work of exceptional filmmakers who tell stories from our backyard and around the world.
|A Thousand Cuts|
|Far From Home|
These four films now qualify for consideration for the 2021 Academy Awards, to be held on 25 April 2021 which coincides with Anzac Day.
Other New Zealand awards include a second win for Elementa for Best NZ Cinematography; Best NZ Director and NZ Editing for Stevenson: Lost and Found by Sally Williams; and Best NZ Emerging Filmmaker won by Yeshe Hegan for Return to Gandhi Road.
Full list of Doc Edge Awards 2020 Winners:
New Zealand Competition
- Best New Zealand Feature, sponsored by NZ On Air: Elementa
- Best New Zealand Director: Sally Williams – Stevenson: Lost and Found
- Best New Zealand Editing: Deborah Peretz – Stevenson: Lost and Found
- Best New Zealand Cinematography: Richard Sidey – Elementa
- Best New Zealand Emerging Filmmaker, sponsored by Department of Post: Yeshe Hegan – Return to Gandhi Road
- Best New Zealand Short, sponsored by NZ On Air: Pluck
- Best International Feature: A Thousand Cuts (USA)
- Special Mention: The Forum (Germany, Switzerland)
- Best International Director: Hind Meddeb, Thim Naccache – Paris Stalingrad (France)
- Special Mention: Pawel Wysoczański – Long Day Tomorrow (Poland)
- Best International Short: Far From Home (Senegal)
- Special Mention: Blackfeet Boxing: Not Invisible (USA)
New Zealand Student Short Competition sponsored by Wallace Foundation
- Best Tertiary: Kate Gordon, Hurting to Heal
- Best Secondary: Sedona Milich, Mirimiri
Festival Category Winners
- All in the Family: Confucian Dream
- Art Attack: A Chef’s Voyage
- Best of Fests: This is Not a Movie
- Fearless: Blood on the Wall
- Future Watch: First We Eat
- Moana Whārahi | Films from the Pacific: Tokyo Hula
- On the Edge: The Queen’s Man
- World Cinema: Paris Stalingrad
Doc Edge Superhero: Jane Wrightson
“Doco makers have taught me so much and I’m forever in their debt for the consistent challenging and advocacy for the craft and its contribution to storytelling that matters… I’m so grateful for this most unexpected honour. Ngā mihi.” – Jane Wrightson
Doc Edge wishes to thank this year’s jurors for the hard decisions and picking the winners from hard fought finalists. The Jury Members are: Claire Aguilar (USA), Cristine Platt Dewey (USA), Donovan Chan (SG), Fiona Apanui-Kupenga (NZ), Geeling Ching (NZ), Hassan Fazili (DE), Heperi Mita (NZ), James Croot (NZ), Jennifer Ward-Lealand (NZ), Julia Parnell (NZ), Kay Ellmers (NZ) and Lisa Taouma (NZ).
The full Doc Edge Awards 2020 presentation will be available on the Doc Edge Facebook page.
For more information, and to keep up to speed with the 2020 Festival, visit: www.docedge.nz, or follow Doc Edge on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.